Multi Factor Authentication is enabled by default on all Microsoft 365 accounts.
Below are the instructions to set it up on your account:
- On your computer go to portal.office.com and enter your email address and password
- After you choose sign in you will be prompted for more information
- Choose Next.
- The default authentication method is to use the free Microsoft Authenticator app. If you have it installed on your mobile device, select Next.
If you don’t please visit the Appstore (for iPhone) or Google Play app (for Android) and search for Microsoft Authenticator and install it.
If you would rather use SMS messages sent to your phone instead, select I want to set up a different method. Microsoft 365 will ask for your mobile number, then send you an SMS message containing a 6-digit code to verify your device.
- You’ll see the image below on your computer.
- Open the Microsoft Authenticator app on your phone. Press on Add an Account and then choose Work or school account.
- Scan the QR code that’s on your computer
- Your account will be added automatically to the app and will display a six-digit code.
- Switch back to your computer and click Done.
- Now wait for the Checking activation status text to finish configuring your phone.
- When it’s complete, you’ll be able to click the Contact me button on the right.
- Switch back to your phone and you’ll see a notification for a new sign in.
- Go to the Microsoft Authenticator app.
- Tap Approve to allow it.
- Back on the computer, follow any prompts that you might see such as adding a mobile number.
- You’re good to go!
From now on, whenever you have a new sign in or add your Microsoft 365 work or school account to an app, you’ll open the Authenticator app on your phone and tap Approve.